These hearty burger patties that are nothing like the store bought; the over processed scamburgers you may have tried. These are soft, juicy and packed with flavor and hold together on the BBQ. A delicious protein packed meat alternative.
Black Bean Burgers
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup raw walnuts chopped
- 10 ml vegetable oil
- 1/2 white or brown onion finely diced
- 240 g cooked black beans drained and rinsed*
- 1/8 teaspoon chilli powder optional
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs or any breadcrumbs
- 60 ml vegan bbq sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- caramelised onion
- tomato sliced
- baby spinach
- cheese for non vegans
- Cook the rice using your preferred method.
- Heat pan over medium heat. Add raw walnuts and toast for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden brown. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Heat vegetable oil in the same pan over medium heat and add onion. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until onion is fragrant, soft, and translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add cooled walnuts to blender or food processor and blend until a fine meal is achieved. Set aside.
- Add black beans to a large mixing bowl and mash well with a fork, leaving only a few whole beans, next add cooked rice, walnut meal, sautéed onion, spices, bread crumbs, BBQ sauce and sugar.
- Mix thoroughly until a moldable dough forms. If dry, add extra 1-2 Tbsp BBQ sauce. If too wet, add more bread crumbs. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Divide into 10 equal portions and form into patties (approx 1/3 cup each)
- Heat a greased pan or BBQ and cook patties for 5 mins both sides.