Yummy berry muffins the whole family will love. With a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, they they have irresistible crunchy sweet tops. My pre-school niece and nephew who are not vegetarian nor vegan (and probably do not know what that even means) love for me to cook these muffins when they visit.
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds ground
- 60 ml water
- 250 ml almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 300 g Self raising flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 155 g brown sugar firmly packed
- 180 g frozen mixed berries
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine ground chia seeds and water and set aside.
- Combine almond milk and vinegar and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut out eight 13cm-square pieces of non-stick baking paper. Line eight 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity muffin pans with paper squares.
- Combine flour, salt, nutmeg and sugar in a large bowl. Add mixed berries and stir to combine.
- Add the buttermilk, oil and "egg" and stir with a metal spoon until just combined (do not overmix).
- Spoon batter among prepared pans.
- Sprinkle with the topping mixture of demerara sugar & cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.