This would have to be the healthiest chocolate brownie recipe I have ever seen. The list of ingredients is a far cry from the original brownie recipes, such as those served at Palmer House Chicago since 1893 or those in Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Boston Cooking-School Cook Book. The black beans give the brownie substance and the avocado makes for a smooth and buttery texture. Throw in some dark chocolate and walnuts and there you have it – delicious, moist and rich brownies.
Black Bean Chocolate Brownies
- 240 g cooked black beans drained and rinsed*
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 ml natural vanilla extract
- 20 ml coconut oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 150 g dark chocolate melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 23cm x 33cm cake tin with baking paper.TIP: these brownies can be baked using a 12 muffin tray or use muffin papers.
- Add beans, avocado, sugar, cocoa powder, half the walnuts (1/4 cup), baking powder, vanilla extract, coconut oil, melted chocolate and the salt to a food processor.
- Process the ingredients in the food processor for 1-2 minutes.
- Chop the remaining walnuts and stir through the brownie mixture.
- Evenly spread the mixture into the the cake tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Leave to cool before removing from the tin and cutting into squares.
- Serve as is or warm with ice cream for dessert.