Churros – YUM! Traditionally served for breakfast in Spain, they have become popular around the world as a sweet snack to be enjoyed at any time of the day.
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil for cooking
- 3/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Whisk together the water, salt, sugar, and olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil then remove it from the heat.
- Stir in the flour while mixing with a wooden spoon until it forms a ball.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 190C (very hot)
- Transfer the dough to a cloth pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Squeeze a 5-6 inch strip of dough into the hot oil. Repeat, frying 3 or 4 strips at a time. Fry the churros, turning them once, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked churros to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Gently melt the dark chocolate in a double saucepan. Transfer to a bowl and serve with the churros.