There’s nothing quite like finishing off a family trip to the Vic Market, in my home town of Melbourne, with a white paper bag filled with yummy jam doughnuts. But alas, with a vegilante in your troop, and dairy in the batter and animal fat in the cooking oil, this special treat will need some tweaking. Get your jam doughnut fix with these authentic and easy to make doughnutesque muffins.
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds ground
- 60 ml water
- 220 g self raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 150 g white sugar
- 180 ml almond milk
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 80 ml white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 60 ml strawberry jam optional
- Make the vegan egg by combining ground chia seeds and water. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add oil, sugar, chia mix and milk to a separate bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just enough to combine.
- Spoon mixture into 12 large muffin papers.
- Bake at 180 C fan forced for approx 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, to make the topping, combine sugar cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Shake muffins out immediately and while hot and brush the muffin tops with the 2nd amount of vegetable oil using a pastry brush and roll in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Optional: Inject strawberry jam before brushing with oil and rolling in sugar & cinnamon.
- Serve warm.