This recipe probably doesn’t really belong on a site like this but technically it qualifies as vegetarian. I make it all the time for my husband to take to golf, I wonder if Jimmy and Turtle only invite him along for the slice!
- 300 ml condensed milk
- 100 g butter
- 340 g biscuit crumbs (2 boxes)
- 1 cup desicated coconut
- 1 lemon rind only
- 2 cups icing sugar sifted
- 1 lemon juice only
- 40 g butter melted
- Grease and line a 3cm-deep, 15cm x 25cm (base) slab pan or 20cm square pan
- Place condensed milk and butter in a small saucepan over low-medium heat. Cook, stirring for 4 to 5 minutes or until butter melts. This mixture burns easily, keep stirring and do not leave unattended.
- Combine crumbs, coconut and 2 teaspoons lemon rind in a bowl. Add hot butter mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Press biscuit mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm
- Place icing sugar in a medium to large bowl, make a well in the centre, then slowly add lemon juice, stirring to make a slurry.Using this method reduces the risk of lumps and results in smoother icing
- Add the melted butter to the slurry, mix well then beat in any remaining dry icing sugar from around the edges.
- Beat with a spoon until smooth. Spread icing over slice. Refrigerate for a further 30 minutes or until icing has set. Cut into pieces. Serve