The traditional Panforte is a chewy Italian dessert containing fruits and nuts.
- 60 g hazelnuts toasted and skinned*
- 150 g dates chopped
- 100 g sultanas
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon honey substitute with maple syrup for vegan option
- 1 cup water
- 100 g dark chocolate chopped
- 1 teaspoon orange rind
- 60 g almonds blanched and chopped**
- 60 g macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoon icing sugar
- Line a 20cm round or rectangular tart pan with a false bottom with baking paper. (if you don’t have a tart pan, use a regular cake pan).
- Mix dates, sultans, brown sugar, honey and water in a medium saucepan. stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. simmer for 10 minutes until the mixture becomes thick.
- Add chocolate and orange rind and stir until chocolate has melted and the mixture smooth. Add nuts, flour and spices and stir well to combine.
- Transfer to the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until set. remove from oven and dust with sifted icing sugar.
- Cool before removing from pan. Slice and serve.