These vege balls are a great hit. Filling and full of flavor. Accompanied by napoli sauce and zoodles it’s a great way to get an Italian fix, vegan-style.
Pasta Vege Balls with Napoli Sauce and Zoodles
- 250 g dried pasta
- 240 g cooked black beans drained and rinsed*
- 120 ml vegan barbeque sauce
- 60 ml tomato paste
- 1 pinch black pepper ground
- 1 pinch salt
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 820 g canned tomatoes crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 medium zucchini spiralised
- Cook the pasta, as per instructions.
- Put the cooked pasta, beans, barbecue sauce, tomato puree, salt & pepper in a food processor & mix them up into a paste. Set aside.
- In a medium to large saucepan, heat the oil and cook the red onion until it’s translucent
- Add the garlic, thyme, salt, pepper to the saucepan and cook until you’ve released the aroma of the garlic & thyme. Remove from heat.
- Add the pasta paste to the saucepan and combine well.
- Roll the mixture into balls
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook the balls until the skins are slightly crisp & colored. Set aside.
- Heat the tomato, basil and garlic powder in a large pot.
- Gently drop the balls into pot with tomato sauce in & let them simmer for 10 minutes
- Lightly steam the spiralised zucchini, the zoodles.
- Serve the pasta vege balls & sauce over steamed zoodles.