This nutritious and filling soup is quick and easy to make. The coconut cream makes it smooth and creamy and the lemon grass gives it that unmistakable Thai flavour.
Thai Sweet Potato Soup
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion
- 3 teaspoons red curry paste
- 750 g sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 500 ml almond milk
- 125 ml coconut cream
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted optional
- 1 sprig coriander optional
- 1 teaspoon lemon grass grated
- 375 ml water
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add curry paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until aromatic.
- Add sweet potato, lemongrass and water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Add salt, sugar, almond milk and coconut milk. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Blend or process until smooth. Return to low heat for a few minutes without boiling.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and coriander and serve.