Lovely moist cake with a rich topping of toffee, caramel apples and a nice crunch of toasted walnuts on the bottom. A great way to finish off a family dinner, especially with a large scoop of vanilla icecream. Yum.
Upside down toffee apple cake
- 25 g Nuttalex
- 1 red delicious apple finely sliced
- 85 g brown sugar
- 2 red delicious apple coarsely grated
- 110 g brown sugar
- 180 g self raising flour
- 1.5 teaspoons mixed spice
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 180 ml water
- 1 lemon zested
- 80 g walnuts chopped
- 40 g walnuts chopped
- 30 g brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease and line the base of a 23cm square cake tin.
- Melt 85g of the sugar and the margarine in a pan, then pour into the prepared tin. Top with the sliced apple in a single layer.
- Combine the flour, sugar and mixed spice in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, water, vinegar, grated apple and lemon zest.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet, quickly and thoroughly.
- Stir the walnuts into the batter, then pour over the layer of apples in the cake tin.
- Combine the walnuts and sugar. Sprinkle over the batter and gently pat into the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool for 5 minutes before turning out.